SCI La Truffière
How it all started
During a vertical taste of ten vintage of the Domus Maximus cuvee, Frantz Vènes, Ludovic Aventin and a lucky few were struck by the aromatic common point of each of these amazing bottles: the truffle.
Frantz and Ludovic intending to plant and cultivate old and forgotten grapes (the rivairenc, the plant droit, the oeillade, the piquepoul noir de la Calmette, the terret noir, the aramon, the bobal, the aubun noir, the trepat and the brun fourca), they thought it might be a good opportunity to plant some truffle oak because they were growing naturally on the area. Both friends with Damien Berlureau, well known truffle professional, they contacted him and he joined the project after having made a soil study which confirmed that the truffle cultivation were possible.
A SCI of 8 hectares of vines and land
- 3 hectares of viens in AOP
- 4 hectares of land in fallow for 15 years will be replanted with old grapes.
The goal is to plant old grapes on the same plot. The qualitative interest of the approach is to bring a complexity in the wine because of the different grapes. All of the grapes are Mediterranean, then, the maturity shades will be low. However, it should be noted that by mimicry, the grapes with the quicker vegetative cycle will wait for the grapes with the longer one.
Frantz realizes his dream through this museum of varieties: make reborn old grapes. This vineyard will be vinified at the Château Massamier la Mignarde cellar, where the Domus Maximus is made. We favor horse-drawn ploughing, handwork, manual harvest. During the vinification we limit the use of oenological products. Thus, we encourage biodiversity, we plant fruit trees (fig tree, olive tree, almond tree) for our pleasure.
- 1 hectare of land planted with truffle (approximatively 250 trees). Damien Berlureau will supervise the plantation, the cultivation and the truffle hunt.
Frantz will realize a new dream, to have his own truffle-field (theorical production 8 years after the plantation with an average 3kg per hectare return) and then make work great Chefs for the pairing of his wines.
- In order to live fully the vineyard life, each partner will receive regularly by mail the work made in the vines, the truffle-field and the cellar.
- An annual lunch, during the General Meeting of the SCI will be set up at the vineyard with tasting of the Domus Maximus cuvee and our truffles (when they will be produced).
- An annual lunch will be organized between Paris and Rouen in order to conserve the human relations, to taste our wines and our truffles and to explain the vineyard life.
- Harvest will be the occasion for the partners to participate actively to the creation of the wine and to the festive atmosphere that it carries.
- The truffle hunt (with dogs or flies) will be organised and the partners will be invited to participate